Monday, August 11, 2014

Lolly-scramble Cupcakes

I think that I have been doing a pretty good job with posting to the blog lately. I don't know how long it will continue but I'm hoping that I can keep it up. I decided that for my next post I would try out something a bit different. I have been wanting to make Lolly cake for a while now, but I'm yet to find a substitute for fruit puffs that I'm happy with, so until Siwan very kindly sends me some and they make the long journey from NZ to Canada, I will have to try something a bit different.

Much desired Lolly Cake!
This recipe includes lollies and cake, and for now it will do. I hadn't tried out this recipe before and it turned out very well. It comes from "A Treasury of New Zealand Baking" a compilation of recipes from New Zealand food writers and chefs. I changed a few things about this recipe from the original based on the flavour of jam that I had available and used sour cream instead of natural yoghurt.

Lolly-scramble cupcakes
These cupcakes are a great combination of flavours with the chocolate and berry flavours in the cake, complemented by the lime icing and burst of sweetness from the lollies on top. The choice of lollies for decoration is entirely up to your own preference.

Lolly-scramble Cupcakes

Cupcakes
100 g brown sugar
¼ cup canola oil
¼ cup natural yoghurt or sour cream
2 eggs
¼ cup raspberry jam (any berry jam will work)
130 g self-raising flour
4 tsp cocoa powder
2-3 Tbsp milk

Preheat the oven to 190 C. Line a muffin pan with cases.
Beat the sugar, oil, yoghurt, eggs and jam together until thick and creamy. Combine the flour and cocoa and fold into the sugar mixture, then add milk.
Spoon the mixture into paper cases until two-thirds full.
Bake for 12 – 14 mins until the cakes are springy to the touch. Allow to cool completely before icing the cakes.

Icing
250 g icing sugar

4 Tbsp lime juice
lollies

To make the icing, add the juice to the icing sugar and combine until smooth, add a little warm water if required. Ice the cupcakes, leaving each one to dry slightly before sticking the lollies on. 



1 comment:

  1. We all know that Cake decorations and cake toppers is almost necessary for almost every occasion, whether it's a birthday party, wedding, anniversary or sporting event. Get our sweetest ideas for decorating cupcakes and cakes from cake supplies and rental.
    Visit us at:
    cake decoration

    ReplyDelete